Amazing Thailand

Friday, May 14, 2010

Cheap Flight, Then Train to Thailand

Here is an idea for travelers from Australia taking the train from Kuala Lumpur to Thailand. I used this travel plan and saved about $500 on my normal fare. You do need to be a little flexible with your travel dates, and be prepared for a little waiting at times.

My trip started in Adelaide. Having such a limited choice of carriers here encouraged me to do some PC work. OK, first I went to the Airasia site and looked up return flights from the Gold Coast to Kuala Lumpur. I was looking at going around November time and the price was around $600 to $700 return. So I started checking day before and day after, you know how it works. Anyway to my amazement I found a return fare for $220, yes $220 return. First thing I did was hit the button, got out my stretched credit card and booked and paid for it. This was in July, so I thought plenty of time to recoup the money. My normal fare from Adelaide on Singapore Airways is around $1200 return, sometimes $1000.

Next thing was to book a return from Adelaide to Gold Coast. Being a little governed now by the Airasia flight, I managed to find a flight for $200 return on Jetstar. Ridiculous I know, Adelaide to Gold Coast = 2 hours = $200 and Gold Coast to KL = 8 hours = $220, takes a bit of understanding I know. Anyway, my flight to KL was leaving at 09.30 which meant I had to be in the Gold Coast the day before. As a traveler, I didn't mind having to sleep in the airport, I have done it before as I am sure many of you have.

What I did not realize was that the Gold Coast airport is NOT 24 hours, oop's hahaha. The backpackers just a mile down the road was full, so I found a bench just outside the main building and got a few hours sleep there.

The good thing was that the airport actually opens at 04.00, so it was not so bad. So to carry on with my journey, I then flew on to KL with no problems. Once on the ground I went straight through immigration and on to a waiting Airasia shuttle bus, which I had prepaid for to the KL Sentral Station.

I then booked a 2nd class sleeper which would take me to Hat Yai and all the way to Bangkok if I wanted. I was going to Hat Yai as I have a good friend there that I always visit on my trips. Cost of this train was $18. Which also served as a night's accommodation. So doing the figures, I got into Thailand for well under $500. Now that is a good deal from Adelaide of course.

Now the train journey was great as usual, takes about 12 to 14 hours to get to Hat Yai. About an hour and a half before getting to Hat Yai you will reach the border crossing. This is really easy to complete, the train stops at the border station and you all get off. Some travelers take their belongings some don't, but remember it is a border crossing and they may want to look through your cases or bags.

Anyway once all people are off the train it leaves the station to uncouple the Malaysian carriages which go back to KL and then the train comes back with just the Thailand carriages on it. Inside the station you will be directed where to go to sign out of Malaysia and then go to the next section to sign in to Thailand.

Make sure you check your visa before leaving the counter. TAKE NOTE that entering Thailand overland will only give you a 14 days visa, so if your planning to spend more time then you will need to do a visa run or pay a visit to the Thai Consulate.

I enjoyed traveling this way and will certainly do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment